Wednesday, October 3

Going Ons

I finally made it to institute today. I have been trying to go every Tuesday and Wednesday for the past four weeks. Either something came up or Lauren needed a nap desperately. So today I didn't plan on going, and lo-and-behold! We made it!

Our grass is growing! As in, the grass we planted last week over the entire back yard, is growing! I can just picture how it will all look someday when we get it all done. Landscaping in the back with rocks, brick, trees, fire pit, swing set, shed, dog kennel, fruit trees, and a garden that grows food instead of weeds. For now though, I am happy that we have tiny grass blades instead of weeds.

The weed pile that amassed while we cleared getting ready to plant is taller than I am. We're currently waiting for them to settle down and dry out so we can have a massive bonfire.

I had a great birthday last week. Chase took me out to Firehouse for dinner and then we went to Home Depot. (I see a trend here... every celebration we seem to end up at Home Depot. Could be worse I guess.) He got me an awesome book The Violinist's Thumb, which is all about genetics. It's hard to find a good science novel these days so he did great!

Saturday I went with my mom, sister, aunt and grandma to the General Relief Society broadcast. We went shopping in Farmington beforehand and then rode the Front Runner to Salt Lake. Never done that before so it was a fun experience. The talks were very good and seemed to address things that my family are going through. They gave a lot of comfort and insight.

We just found out that Chase will FINALLY have his annual review at work on Friday. We've been waiting for this for a long time. It was something we were planning on right about the time we closed on the house...and it never happened (Typical Conservice; we should have known better.) So that will make our budget actually look like we planned on when we signed the closing papers. Whew.

We got a library card to the Hyrum library. Lauren loves it and it's fun to see her run in and pick out books. I haven't been too impressed with it yet. All the books I've gone to get are either out or they don't have them at all. The stuffed bear is pretty neat though.

I'm getting recipes together for Thanksgiving. I'm in charge of dinner this year at the Christensen's and I'm really excited about it! What's your favorite way to cook a turkey?

Trying to figure out what to plant in our flower beds. I am not a gardener and am lucky if I can tell between a weed and a flower so Pinterest has been helping me out some. I'm trying to find some more shade perennials or evergreens.

We canned some more tomatoes and spaghetti sauce a few weeks ago. Our house smelled great! I'm trying to find some Macintosh apples (or others) to make applesauce. Does anyone have any connections? Bountiful Baskets usually has them but I haven't seen them yet this year.

Finally cleaned up my sewing room. I haven't been able to see the floor for months. I just let Lauren loose when I'm sewing sometimes, which creates mass amounts of mess in there. Keeps her happy though so I don't mind, she likes to look at all the buttons and pretend to cut things out on my mat.

I'm excited for Halloween this year. We'll actually get Trick-or-Treaters! We usually got one, maybe two in our apartments.

Well, I think that pretty much sums up what we've been up to!

2 comments:

Aimee said...

We'll have to look at plants together sometime Amy...Andy might have some ideas for you too...he used to be a gardener at the temple.
That's awesome that you're in charge of Thanksgiving. I've never cooked a turkey before and I'm not sure I ever will :)
I didn't know you were taking institute! What class and who's the teacher?
You're a patient woman to let Lauren play in your sewing room :)
And your grass is looking great!

Mandi and Adam said...

Last year we used the Our Best Bites recipe for a turkey and it was absolutely delicious! If we do Thanksgiving here again this year, I'm sure we'll use the recipe again.