Even though I am not in school anymore, Chase is. I just have to vent a little about an idiot professor that he has. Today he told Chase that it doesn't matter how hard you work in life, you won't succeed anyway. I am ticked. How in the world did he get to be the department head with that kind of a teaching attitude? Sometimes it gets to me how much of a circus and political game college is. Unfortunately to succeed in college you just have to jump through the hoops of what your professors tell you to do, even if they have no idea what the real world application is like.
This is just my opinion, but I think computer science professors have a harder time living in the "real world" since they are focused on teaching exact computer applications, not how to teach them to people with very human tendencies. I think Chase does a great job at maintaining his ability to interact very well with people and still be what he calls a nerd, which in the real world, will help him be very successful.
For the most part, I had great professors who really did know what the real world is like. They all had their quirks but they tried to help me, which I am grateful for. But I feel like the things I learned that are most applicable to me now working, aren't how to treat specific diseases (although it helps), but what I was good at. So even though I literally failed biology, I have organization on my side, which at this job is 90% of what I do.
At times I think the true lessons to be learned from college are not to prepare you for working in a specific field, but how to work with difficult and sometimes, mean, people. Another one is to know when you should voice an opinion and when you should not. The trick is to still hold on to what you believe and feel without making the people who hand you the grade, or the paycheck, mad.
That's it, I'm done venting. Just had to get that out because I am so proud of Chase and how dare ANYONE tell him his hard work will not be enough.
1 comment:
The professors probably just bitter that all of his students will be much more successful than he ever has been
Post a Comment