Thursday, March 10

People Say the Darndest Things


Generally all people are nice and mean the best. Some just don't realize that what comes out of their mouth sounds not-so-nice. These have all been said to me in the last few days and they make me laugh. The words in italics are what I was thinking, not what I actually said. I'm not typically that sarcastic. :)

Co-worker:
"Does it just scare you to death that it's inevitable that one day you're whole body is just going to be torn apart?!"
Well I wasn't until you said that.
"Don't you just feel like a grenade with the pin pulled out right now? You could explode anytime!"
Yes, yes I could.

Other co-worker:
"Yeah my epidural didn't work at all. I could feel the doctor stitching me up after. Good luck with that."
Oh thanks.

Another co-worker:
"Amy, watching you walk makes me eternally grateful that I was born a man."
So glad that I could help you appreciate that fact.

Cashier at Joann's:
"So when are you due?"
"What are you having?"
"You seriously look like you could pop! Have a nice day!"
Thanks, you too! :S

And this is my favorite:

Crazy Lady at the copy store:
"So when are you due?"
"What are you having?"
"Why does everyone want to find out what they're having these days?! Doesn't anyone want the surprise in the delivery room anymore?!!!!"
Ummm....we don't.
"Do you have a name?"
Kind of.
"Well what are some of the ones you like?"
Kyrie, Lauren, Marissa, Rachel... yeah.
"Hmm Kyrie is interesting, you can't name her Marissa though. Marissa is a dark baby name and your baby is going to be blond."
Umm okay.
"I have a nephew that I have no idea what his name is so I call him Canoe."
And that has anything to do with us becuase....?
"Lauren is a good name."
We're so glad you think so since we're taking a poll from complete strangers off the street about what we should name our baby.

9 comments:

Jackie Norris said...

Ha... wow! I really haven't had many comments, thank goodness. The funniest one was when I was at Arctic Circle in UT over Christmas. I went up to order and before I could say anything she asked when I was due. I told her and she responded with "Oh, Piceses (or whatever the sign is... I honestly don't know) that's good. That's really good." Me: "Um, ok. Well, I'd like a corn dog and tater tots."

They make for good stories!

Mandi and Adam said...

Seriously, the things that come out of people's mouths sometimes really make you wonder if they think at all before they speak. Thanks for the laugh today! And just for the record, I know several Marissa's that aren't dark. :)

Jamie and Tom said...

oh wow! Those are classic! I love comments from people. My comments always were about my waddle. I was called a duck by all of my coworkers. It was awesome... By the way, I love the name Marissa! That comment totally cracked me up.

Mandy said...

Oh good heavens. I got comments but not as many. What I don't understand is most of these comments come from women who have had children and I'm sure they wouldn't want anyone to say some of the things they say to other people to them. (Did that make sense?) And by the way I know a blond Marissa. I think all the names you're thinking of are cute though.

Mandy said...

Oh and just for the record my epidural was glorious and I couldn't feel a thing, which is what USUALLY happens. So don't worry about it too much.

Sarah said...

HA ha ah ahhhahahhahahahhaha. Love it.

Heather said...

People are so funny sometimes!

P.S. Your baby room is adorable!

Justin and Kristin said...

If it makes u feel any better, mine wasn't painful at all, I didn't feel anything...kinda wish I had!
I have one too: I texted my best friend to tell her it was starting and she responded, "It's going to get really painful now!" --yah, thanks for the words of encouragement!

The Crookston Fam said...

I agree with Mandy...epidurals are amazing. It was SO nice to focus on all of the love and excitement instead of the pain! You can push this little button if it feels like the epidural is getting too weak. Don't be afraid to do that, because the contractions usually come really fast and really strong when you're induced. They had to reduce my pitocin a couple times because they said my contractions were "too strong" and I could still feel them, just not the pain. :)