Friday, June 3

Attack of the Tonsillectomy, Adenoidectomy, and Uvulectomy

They say getting your tonsils out when an adult is about the worst pain you can experience, other than kidney stones and giving birth. I believe it.

Chase has had sleep apnea for forever, it seems. Deep down I always knew it was the tonsils causing problems since I knew they were big. We kept coming up with excuses not to do it. Well, after Logan's arrival I knew we couldn't keep going the way we had. I couldn't afford to have Chase exhausted all the time; I need his help to keep three kids alive!

After much coercion, persuasion and love unfeigned, I convinced him that we at least needed to get an assessment from an ENT. The doctor took one glance in his mouth and declared his tonsils "gargantuan."The doctor said he very rarely recommends surgery for sleep apnea, but readily agreed to surgery after seeing Chase's air-flow restricters.

Surgery day approached and finally came. Chase had been completely wigging himself out with all the horror stories online. He was a tad nervous.
Before surgery. He said he'd never talk to me again if I posted a pic post-op. :)
Surgery went well. We got home, put him in bed and all was well, in perspective being that his throat looked like a murder scene. Misery ensued for the next 4 days. Chase started bleeding in the middle of church. (Church with three kids by yourself is an adventure, btw.) We rushed to the emergency room and had an encounter with the rudest, most incompetent doctor I've ever met. At least he temporarily stopped the bleeding, with silver nitrate, WITHOUT ANESTHESIA!!! Grr.

We went home to continue Chase's misery.

He started bleeding again Wednesday, alot more than before.We rushed to the office this time, thank goodness and waited for the doctor while the bleeding kept getting worse. Scared to death that we now had an unexpected ER bill, and possibility of going back into surgery...it was a little stressful. But thankfully, the doctor was kind and considerate and used local anesthesia to cauterize the blood vessel the previous incompetent doctor had missed.

We went home to continue Chase's misery.

And here we are now; day 9 of the process. Everyone says day 10 is the turning point to feeling better.

We are very much looking forward to tomorrow.




1 comment:

Aimee said...

Oh! I had no idea you ended up going back in on Wednesday! :(
Good grief! I hope he's feeling better today (for both your sakes :)