Wednesday, March 31

Ice Cream

I don't know really where this post came from. I guess I'm just craving some good ice cream so I'm thinking about it alot right now.

In my family we ALWAYS had ice cream in the freezer. Not one of those little half gallon containers, but the BIG ones. And sometimes we had a couple of those in the freezer at a time. So basically we all grew up eating ice cream and are therefore addicted. Pretty sure we'll never have osteoporosis.

There's alot of memories in my life that have to do with ice cream. Ice cream is one of those positive association things for me; anything to do with ice cream is good.

One of my first memories was always going to Farr's in Ogden with my Grandma, aunt and cousins on Memorial Day after visiting the cemeteries. At first we all got the bubble-gum ice cream, then I tried play-dough and that's been the kind I always get when we go there now. I loved the green walls and sitting outside on the bench and looking at the temple across the street.

My family would walk to Bowman's alot on family night just to get ice cream. We would sometimes get a half gallon and some plastic spoons then go the the park and eat the whole thing.

Sometimes we would go to Arctic Circle and get ice cream cones there. My favorite was the twist.

My grandma always has ice cream at her house too and she makes the best ice cream cones EVER. She always puts a tiny little scoop in the bottom of the cone and then fills the rest up. The last bite of the bottom of the cone is always the best since Grandma put the ice cream down there to make it all gooey and soggy.

On Sundays it always seemed like we ate ice cream. Either sitting around the table after dinner or while watching a musical. My mom always stirs hers so it's nice and smooth. Chase does too.

My family would go camping alot up Logan Canyon while we were all growing up. So of course we had to stop at Aggie Ice Cream on the way home and get some. I remember pulling into the parking lot with our tent trailer and we would all walk in feeling gross and dirty from camping, but the ice cream was great. My favorite for a long time was cookie fudge, but now it's lemon custard on a sugar cone. It's the best!

After moving to college, we would hit Charlie's quite frequently. My favorite there is the hot-fudge brownie shake. The oreo-peanut butter is pretty good too. Chase and I go there alot for date nights when you can get the shake of the month for 2 bucks. Can't beat that.

When Chase and I lived in California we went to this awesome outdoor mall when we first got there. We went into Coldstone to get some ice cream since we were dying of heatstroke and there realized that EVERYTHING in California is much more expensive than here. No wonder there weren't prices on anything. 13 bucks for a dish of ice cream? Yeah, but it was fun and we never got ice cream there again.

Last summer my family went to St. George and we went to Coldstone and ate outside around the table. Cake batter remix is for sure the thing to get there!

My family has alot of birthdays in the summer so we would have the whole extended family over and make homemade ice cream. There's nothing quite like homemade ice cream. When I was really little I remember having ward ice cream parties where everyone would bring their ice cream mixer so we'd have gallons of ice cream to go around.

Sometimes we would walk down to Jake's and get their HUGE shakes there too. We'd usually have to split them since they were ginormous! I remember the first time I went to Jake's in Ogden. We met Grandma and my aunt and cousins at the hospital where she worked and went to Jake's. I was so excited! That was the first time I ever got a grasshopper shake.

It's a good thing I married into a family that has close ties to a dairy. Reed's dairy chocolate milk and ice cream is to die for. When we go up to Idaho we usually come back with a gallon of ice cream. Mud Pie is Chase's favorite and I like Gavin's Mess. Yummy. I like sitting out on the bench with Chase's family or Ben and Christie eating it. They're really nice to and stock up the freezer when we go to visit.

Chase and I have also made our own homemade pizzookies. Very good. These were instigated while we were dating and we still have them occasionally. Nothing like ice cream over cookie dough.

One of my favorite things is going home and eating ice cream. It's like being little again. :)

7 comments:

Heather J said...

oh gosh...now you really have me craving ice cream. i miss aggie ice cream. oh the choices!

did you know you can sign up for coldstone's birthday club. they'll send you a coupon for a free ice cream the week of your birthday. love it!

Stephanie Hancock said...

This post was so fun to read--since I have most the same memories! You're right, ice cream is tied to everything good. Think I'll go have some right now....:)

Stephanie Hancock said...

P.S. Thanks for the grasshoppers as nourishment idea--I think we'll stick to grasshopper shakes however...;)

Heather said...

My mouth is watering for all those delicious ice cream treats! I'm with you on this...I LOVE ice cream!

Mandy said...

I need some ice cream.

The Crookston Fam said...

Oh man, I totally want ice cream now!

Allison said...

I agree with everyone else...after reading this, I am craving ice cream!! Good thing we live by Reed's Dairy!