This has been quite the interesting week. Really weird that I could lose BOTH of my jobs in a matter of a few days.
To start it off, I got a call from my boss at my data entry job to tell me that I should be expecting a call from the director of the COSL office, letting me know that I had been laid off due to a clerical error, therefore they ran out of money to pay me with. Not what I had been expecting since just the week before I had received an email from the organization I had been doing the work for that they loved what I had done and wanted to keep me on staff indefinitely with the possibility of a raise!
If nothing else, this has taught me NOT to trust this organization at all. But they said I should not be too concerned because I still could work directly through this organization for two more months. During these two months they expect me to train a new employee in their Seattle office to do what I have exclusively been doing. This kind of ticks me off. Why did they hire someone new that they will have to train when I am already here doing the work! This does NOT make any sense! So therefore I have lost motivation to keep working the next two months for this organization who has shown no appreciation for my work and is replacing me needlessly.
Next day starts the job search in order to relieve frustration towards said organization so that I can quit and start working somewhere else.
The next few days frustration mounts as I realize that it is the middle of the semester when practically no jobs are available. Applications are sent out to the few jobs found with no responses received.
Friday I get an email half an hour before I was supposed to start my Korean tutoring job for the day. I had been relying on this job to see me through possibly not being able to find another part-time job to replace the lost data-entry one by adding more students to my current work schedule, and because the worlkload for data-entry has been reduced in anticipation for me leaving, not giving me enough hours.
Just as I was getting ready to send in the request for more students, said email is read telling me that with current exchange rates between Korea and the United States being so high that they can't afford to pay me anymore effective immediately, with no prospect of any more students being able to pay for lessons. And I didn't even get to say goodbye to my adorable students who have progressed so much in the time I have been working with them!! (sob...)
Major frustration ensues as realization that all safety nets have been cut and dropped out from beneath in the matter of four days, whereas just the week before we thought we were set up with pretty good job security with prospect of these jobs lasting for the long-term.
BUT...... in an effort to maintain optimism.... we do realize that this must have happened for one of two reasons: 1. There has to be another AMAZING job out there that will be so much better for us; or: 2. This is meant to be a trial that will make us grow stronger somehow, probably in regards to faith that things are carefully planned out and will work out great, or patience. Neither of which I am very good at. AND... we have been able to save more lately, which has been a great blessing.
So really, I am fine now and things will work out. Hopefully sooner than later! :) Thanks for reading my venting!
6 comments:
Man, how sad! I am so sorry! I HATE looking for jobs and I hope your upcoming search is successful. I'll keep my eyes out for an amazing job for you!
Amy! That bites big time! I know how you feel though...my job on the University is being cut too :( Unless they get a grant, I'm jobless! I've also lost all motivation to work! I'm losing my job in December and no one in Logan is hiring Mid-year teachers...we're in it together! This was my safety net also. However, if you are interested in tutoring struggling ESL students or just struggling readers, let me know. That is my second job and it's through the financial aid department (since I'm graduating, I won't be doing that job anymore either). Anyway, I love that job and they are paying me through my student teaching! Anyway good luck and just let me know if you are interested!
I am so sorry Amy! That is awful! Unfortunately I am also continuously searching for new jobs so I don't really know of any right now but here are some websites I check frequently. Hope they can help.
www.ldsjobs.org
jobs.utah.gov
jobs.usu.edu
www.hjnews.com
I'm sure it's all going to work out though - like I said, you will look back and think how glad you are (when you are at your new, better, shinier job!) Let me know if I can do anything for you.
Thats crazy! But you have such an optimistic attitude, and your faith in the Lord is an example to all. Good luck and I will let you know if I hear anything.
You have such a positive outlook. Beleive that there is a job out there just for you that far surpasses the rest:)
Post a Comment