Tuesday, May 12

Mother's Day

Mother's Day was a typical Sunday. It was fun to hear all the tributes to the mother's out there. The thing that stuck with me the most was a comment from one of the talks in Sacrament Meeting. I can't remember it exactly, but the gist was that a son sat by his mother on mother's day handing her tissues while she wept hearing about all the wonderful mothers because she didn't feel like a wonderful mother herself.

I kind of felt like that as Chase tripped over my scooter three times to take a screaming Gavin out into the hall. I felt like weeping when I lost patience with Lauren when she ran over my foot with the scooter. I feel like less than a stellar mother these days. 

Kids will forget this right? Will they remember that I've had no patience the last few weeks? Will they remember that I couldn't tuck them in every night? Will they remember that I couldn't go downstairs to get the beloved extra box of fruit snacks for them? Will they forget that I couldn't take them outside to play?

This won't last, I know it will be okay. But it hurts to know that I have been and done better at being a mom.

I love my mom, she's been here through this whole thing making sure I'm taken care of. My sisters and sisters-in-law are great mothers too; in addition to caring for their kids have taken care of mine. I have a great mother-in-law who has taught me so much.

Even though I may not feel like a good mother now, I am surely being watched over by an army of loving mothers. 


2 comments:

Aimee said...

You are doing the best you can right now so don't even dare feel bad about anything!
And you are right...they won't remember :)

stevie kay said...

They won't remember a thing (and if they do it will be something good- like for us it was "remember that time mom was so sick Dad bought us McDonald's EVERY SINGLE NIGHT? Wasn't that awesome? She doesn't remember it as being very awesome!) Every time I hear tributes to mothers on Mother's Day I have to remind myself that 90% of those ladies were as big of screw ups as me. Some day my kids will be up the lauding my mothering skills while I bawl in gratitude and in laughter cause we all know who I REALLY am. You're doing a great job, scooter and all!! ;-)