Wednesday, May 6

Excerpt from the (Broken) Foot Files


Today started out as an exciting day. I purposely didn't do laundry or clean bathrooms yesterday since it was going to be so much easier today.

When a doctor tells you you'll get a "walking boot" after you get a cast off... it doesn't necessarily mean that you can walk.

Please excuse my ranting... sometimes I just need to be mad and down for awhile and then I'm fine.

We went in so excited and happy that I could be walking out of there in a matter of minutes. Got my blue cast sawed off, chatted happily with the MA, got new x-rays, and waited for the doctor.

Doctor came and in and said, "Looks great, healing nicely. You can go to the boot."

I say, "Awesome! So I can walk and get around okay then?"

"Uh no. You'll want to try gradually putting weight on it starting with your heel, but if it hurts too much don't push it."

"Okay. So can I pick up my kids?"

"I wouldn't"

"When can I take the boot off?"

"Only to shower, but make sure you don't move it at all."

Disappointed, we put the boot on, and left with my trusty scooter still in hand. I tried taking a few steps...it still hurt pretty bad.

We sat in the car for a minute processing, I thought, "Why the heck am I in the boot if I can't walk, can't take it off, and it's now subject to kids sitting, hitting, bumping, riding, hammering etc. and I'm still not supposed to move it?"  So I called right back up and asked to put the cast back on.

So hello bright green cast that I still can't walk in, but... now it has the extra stability so it can heal faster for another 3 weeks. Yippee skippee...

P.S. This is what a cast looks like when you let your 4 year old and your primary class "sign" it. :)

2 comments:

Aimee said...

I guess I should have checked your blog instead of texting you yesterday :) You're a little more on top of things than me!
Love your title...love the primary signed blue cast :)

Jenny said...

You are a champ! Keep going strong Mama. Thinking about you and sending lots of prayers. that was nice of you to get the kids a new canvas to draw on in a different color. :)