Thursday, July 8

Work

So some people have been asking what I do for work. It's kind of hard to explain, but basically we make custom protein mixes and run tests that simulate the antibody response in the body, it's called an ELISA test. The really complicated picture below is supposed to explain what it is, but I can't even tell you why it all works! My boss just said to tell people I do cancer research. Which would be really nifty, but that's not quite it. Although I did get to run some tests on cancerous esophageal tissues today. Does that count? At least cancer isn't communicable/infectious like tuberculosis is. :)



One of my favorite things about this place are the people. A quote from the movie 'Sabrina' sums them up nicely I think: "They work just as hard an anybody but they know when to stop and have fun." Case in point: the girls from the office are going to see Eclipse tonight at 10. We play softball every Tuesday as a work team and that has been a blast! They also played a practical joke on me the other day which just about gave me a heart-attack, but now I've been initiated into the company officially. Who knew dry ice could make plastic test tubes blow apart? I didn't. You learn something new everyday.

People said that I would miss school when it was over, and although I am starting to miss certain things about it. I don't miss it as much as I thought I would. I feel like this job has given me the opportunity to learn at my own pace about things that really interest me. And it's even helping with my sadly lacking math skills!

This new opportunity in life has been a testament to me that we really are being watched out for. Heavenly Father knew exactly what He was doing when I got all those rejection letters. And thankfully my parents were there to tell me that "patience is power" because it did eventually all work out. :)

2 comments:

Allison said...

Awesome. What a cool job! You are so lucky to have found that perfect position in Logan!!

The Crookston Fam said...

That does sound like an awesome job! Glad you're enjoying it. :)