Sunday, February 8

Just a General Update

This is what we wish we could be doing more of recently...


Nothing TOO exciting has been happening lately. We are getting kind of tired of the snow/rain and getting ready for spring.

School has been keeping us pretty busy. I decided that I had it really easy as far as work goes in past semesters. I've had a hard time adjusting to actually have to BE at work, working ALL the time. I know I just need to buck up and deal with it, but man! I miss not having ANY time to do laundry or dishes. Okay, done whining.

On the interesting side of things; we got an email from our landlord this week asking us if we liked the idea of making our current one-bedroom apartment into a two-bedroom! All we would have to do is cut out a doorway in one of the existing walls in our kitchen that would lead to another bedroom and possibly a third, depending on what our landlord decides to do. Thinking about future plans, we thought we would have to start looking for bigger place within the next year or so, now we wouldn't have to move at all! Hopefully, our landlord will really follow through with this because we've loved living here!

We made it back from another trip to Idaho, this time to take care of car registration. Much cheaper there than here! I kind of feel like we're taking advantage of the system, but I guess if we're going to end up in Idaho in a few years, it makes sense to just register our cars there in the first place.

We also get to go down to Kaysville next weekend to go to the Davis High production of Lover's Feast. It is an amazing middle-ages/renaissance 9 course dinner complete with sawdust on the floor and entertainment. It's put on by the choirs and my sister was in it last year and this year my brother is. So we're looking forward to that, and the three-day weekend!

Does anyone have any good suggestions for books to read? I've been wanting to read a really good book lately that doesn't take too much brain power after reading textbooks and one that the ending isn't predictable from the first page. Ideas?

8 comments:

Laura said...

I particularly liked The Book Thief by Markus Zusak if you haven't read it yet, but it's deep, easy to read and goes quick, but definately not light and fluffy. But very unique, seriously one of the best I've read in a while. For something less thoughtful/sad I'm currently enjoying Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke, she's got the same style of writting as Jane Austin, but this is about a proper English Magician in a half real half fake 19th century England. I'm not to far in but I'm liking it so far, and it's not a difficult read.

Tyler and Kendra Ellis said...

Well, this is going to sound silly, but I really get into series that my students like and Tyler and I have read the series "Fablehaven" by Brandon Mull. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! Book 4 comes out in March. It really is a good, easy read. It's not meant for young readers so you won't get bored with the language, but it really is SO good! I own them all so if you don't feel like buying them, you are more than welcome to borrow mine!

Mandy said...

I've read the Book Theif too and it was really good. Some other ones I've enjoyed recently are A Thousand Splendid Suns, Marley and Me, and I just started the Great and Terrible Series. I've only read the first book but it was good. It's LDS fiction which I alwasy like because I know it's safe.

ChaChaCha said...

I recently read Hunger Games. It's weird, interesting & good!

Heather said...

I just finished The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. It was AMAZING. I don't know if you've heard about it, but the author was a professor that was diagnosed with terminal cancer. The book is just kind of his thoughts on how to live a better life. It's seriously so good. Marley and Me is a fun one too, if you've never read that. Neither require extra thinking skills. They are just enjoyable reads :)

Jillian said...

I just read Hunger games....not usually my sort of book but I really liked it.

Anonymous said...

Hey you two! I never see you, ever! Anyway, it's good to hear that things are going well for you. My suggestion for a book to read would be A Thousand Splendid Suns. I have it, so I can just come bring it by and visit or something. Miss you!

Stephanie Hancock said...

Hey Amy! Good luck with the working all the time thing, eventually I think you get used to it--in the meantime I wish you more sleep. It was fun to see you at least a little bit this weekend--so sorry to wake you guys up at the crack of dawn. Check out Goodreads.com, it's basically a huge bookclub and you can see what everybody's reading. I've liked it, and all the books I've read are on it. Talk to you soon!