Wednesday, May 28

Epic

Today defied all odds... I thought I had seen the worst of Lauren's tantrums... I was wrong. Oh boy. Needless to say, today was not a good mom day.

"There once was a girl
who had a little curl
right in the middle of her forehead.

When she was good,
She was very, very good.
But when she was bad,
she was horrid!"

That's my daughter. I was thinking about her fits a lot this afternoon and I came to the conclusion that she has these meltdowns when she's tired, which makes sense. I just can't figure out why she's so tired so often. She still takes a good 2 hour nap most days... goes to bed about 7 and wakes up about 6:30. Is that not enough sleep?!

2 comments:

stevie kay said...

It sounds like plenty of sleep. Maybe she just needs strategically timed "quiet periods" to regroup. When my kids get too old to nap, I still have them sit and read or lie down for a while. It might be worth trying to see if during peak meltdown times if you could get her to sit down for a minute for story time or to color.

My oldest continued to have "fits" until this year. Seriously. He's 8. I just learned that he didn't know how to handle strong emotions (especially frustration). We tried to teach him coping mechanisms, but usually he still ended up throwing himself on the couch (or floor. or bed.) sobbing at least once a day(often the majority of the day). It was awful and I feel your pain. Anyway, sometimes they just have to mature and grow into understanding the world. Once it clicked for Landon, he's done so well. It's like he's an entirely different child now.
So since it's late and I'm rambling, long story short, she'll grow out of it, and until then work on prevention if it's possible!

Aimee said...

So sorry...so frustrating!
Send her over when she's having a tantrum...although I guess that could be perceived as a reward but seriously, I'd be glad to take her...maybe Ben could calm her down :) Sometimes us moms just need a little break from our own children to stay sane.