Wednesday, November 13

Miracles

I don't adequately know how to write how I'm feeling, so I guess I'll just tell what happened.

Thursday night my mom texted us saying there was a typhoon headed for my brother and cousin who are both on missions in the Philippines. We didn't think too much of it because there were always storms and stuff going on and they were just fine.

Friday afternoon I checked the news to see what was going on with the typhoon and realized it was a HUGE storm, the biggest one on record... and it hit Tacloban, the city where Brian was serving, inside and out. (Thankfully Manila hardly saw the storm so my cousin was just fine.)We felt that he was safe, but there's always that thought in the back of your mind that maybe he's not. The Church news said they'd found most of the missionaries safe except for some in the Tacloban mission. That scared  me since it was Brian's mission.

Saturday morning mom texted again to tell us the Area Presidency had called telling her that Brian was safe and unhurt. That was a huge relief to have confirmation that he was okay. But we still didn't know where he was, if he had food, water or shelter. Then on Sunday night we got a short email from him saying he was just fine and he was being moved to Manila for a time. That was another huge relief, but we still didn't know very much.

I kept looking at the news, I probably shouldn't have, but I couldn't help it! I saw horrible pictures and stories and felt sick thinking Brian might be enduring some of those things. I felt almost spoiled as I vacuumed, blow dried my hair, went to sleep in my nice warm bed... I didn't know if Brian had those things.

Then just last night he called home! He is in the Manila MTC, after a ferry ride and a 14 hour bus ride. He wasn't in Tacloban when the storm hit, but in his apartment 500km away being shielded by a small mountain. And he slept, he SLEPT! through the whole thing, waking up every few hours to keep the kitchen from flooding.

I cannot describe the feeling of gratitude and the absolute magnificent power of God I feel, that EVERY SINGLE missionary is safe and accounted for.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

That's amazing Amy! Such good news to hear!

Sarah said...

That is a blessing!